Thread: Black Mirror
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #55
Sanjuro2
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Yeah, I guess that Syberia could be called a character-based game, and not strictly a plot-based one. But even so I don't really think that characters in Syberia are really THAT interesting, maybe if you compare 'em to other adventure games like Toonstruck or Full Throttle (although that's one comparison that should not be made), but from a 'human' point of view, well, I don't believe 'em. Why should Kate follow a madman's dream? The only reason the game gives you is that she's clearly 'bored with her life', but that's not one good reason to leave an husband, work and everything behind you! Or at least if it is, it should be clearly explained instead of all the usual 'When are you coming home, Kate?' 'Oh I should be going now, bye' talks on the phone that only confirm the general 'boredom' of her life (and I would say she's boring too, but I'm getting ahead of my point here).
First of all, it appears that you missed a few details. Bored with her life? What? Kate has a mother who is completely phony and self-absorbed, a boss who treats her like crap, and a boyfriend and supposed best friend who have a sexual tryst together while she's away! The REAL question is: Why wasn't she following madmen's dreams a long time ago...anything is better than what she had. That's why the journey is one of self discovery and sacrifice for Kate, it's an awakening for her. Basically, it opens her eyes and allows her to realize that she doesn't have to put up with it anymore. I'm not sure how you failed to miss all of this... You say she's bored with life, but that's by far the LEAST of her problems... And by the way, I'm not a big fan of Syberia II. Not nearly so much as part 1, just to let you know.

Quote:
And I would not say that Anna is a character since we never get to meet her, it would be like saying that William in TMB is a character. He gets killed at the beginning of the game, so except for his diary we don't know anything about him, and the same goes with Anna.
I never met Isoruku Yamamoto, Erwin Rommel, or George Patton...but by all accounts, WOW...what characters!

Quote:
I respect Hans for what it is: the usual Sokal's character of the man with a dream. Frankly I got bored of that idea in Amerzone, I would say it would be a good character if somehow he would learn to make the player appreciate those kind of 'dreamers'. But I don't think he's capable, at least right now, of doing that; instead he plunges poor Kate in the middle of Hans' world and then amen.
Hans is very different from the man in Amerzone. Hans is a tragic character. I believe his character is harmed a bit by the sequel, which upsets me. In Syberia, however, Hans isn't just a dreamer, you simplify everything and I'm beginning to wonder if you were intoxicated while playing. Hans is a child in a man's body. He has a childlike fascination and obssession that is linked to that prehistoric cave and the mammoth doll that he was trying to reach before his accident. The very accident which stopped him from growing. It is a dream to see the mammoths, yes. It's also a deep psychological problem. He's a very tragic character.

Quote:
So characters are DEFINITELY where it's at, yes, but Syberia is sadly lacking deep and profound characters.
Heh. In much the same way, it seems, that some people around here are lacking intellect.