View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 AM   #17
Ninja Dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
but what does UNI stand for

university of ......?
Teesside, in Middlesbrough, UK. I'm doing the Computer Game Design course, which is basically game art & animation, with some design on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Since you're a monkey, there should definitely be platform elements.
Yeah, definitely. With all the trees and buildings, you'll be hopping, climbing and running around to your heart's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trep
Day/night cycles - 30 minutes game time equals one day. Should give you enough time to explore and discern the patterns of everyone and everything.

Dynamic weather - this should affect gameplay strategies. Sunny days mean a lot more visitors and the staff would be outside frequently. Rainy days increase exploration because of less visitors and outdoor staff activities. Thunderstorms prevent swinging from trees or you'll get struck by lightning.

Physics - you HAVE to include it, man. Excellent for some puzzles and situations, and throwing things.
I've thought about day/night cycles, but I'm not sure whether to include them. I just felt it would make things a bit too easy as there would be less people around to spot you... Still, maybe with the correct balancing and some nightly keeper patrols it could be interesting. I like the weather ideas... and physics, yeah, I hadn't really thought about it as I was only outlining the general design, but when it comes to planning out the individual challenges, I'm sure some level of physics simulation would make a nice gameplay element.

As for the reaction of the lion... a chase would be good, but I would like to keep everything in-game, no cutscenes. So if the player chooses to stay and face the lion, the lion might try to eat him, decide that he doesn't taste very nice and spit him out over the enclosure. Then, if you piss him off again he just throws you out right away.

Of course taking the tiger up on his dare might not be the best decision as it will royally piss off the lion, perhaps to the point of him calling out, when you're around, to draw the keepers' attention to you. But then, it may be the only way to gain the favour of the tiger, so it's a tradeoff.