View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #1
Amaerlyn

Default Apprentice 2 - The Knight's Move

Apprentice 2 - The Knight's Move

This game is made for free with the AGS engine and I think this is one is one of the best games I have seen with AGS. You are playing an apprentice named Pib. Pib is the apprentise of an old wizard that goes by the name Master. Your quest is to do three tasks for the Master so you can be approved a real wizard by the Academy.

The graphics in this game is very appealing, and you know by the look of most of the characters that there is a lot of work behind each and everyone. Most all of the characters have special moves and idle animations which makes the game a little less static than many others I have seen.

The scenery is also looking great, but could have been better some places. The world map however, I didn't like at all. Very little detail and the names that appear when you move your cursor over a location is "merging" too much with the background. This also applies to the "Willowbean" text. Maybe should have used banners or something in the background instead, cause the text really look like amatuer photoshop text merged right on to the map.

Some of the tasks were quite hard to figure out (thinking of the bucketpart in particullar), and some others too, but to be a short game I could really undestad why the time is howled.

The controls can be a little annoying in the beginning as you have to cirkle around to the same action if you already have used an action in the same area. Also not being able to cancel an action (eg. Look at "something") you have to wait till Pib have looked at the item to be able to give him a new command.

The Inventory and save functions are flawless.

Also I heard about an incident where you cannot obtain an item vital to go on in the game, and you actually have to restart, but the author wasn't aware, and I am sure he will fix this as soon as possible

Summary of good things: Graphics, concept and functionality of inventory and saving/loading. And this game is for free is a good thing .

Summary of not so good things: World map, some bugs and a part of the item/NPC interaction.