View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Sly Boots
Master of Time and Space

Well, as long as it's not free violence, and it's fully motivated by the (good) story, I don't see what's wrong with it.
How would there be any more FPS games without it? Some of these games (Deus Ex) are story-driven, and even though violence is there, it helps create a real environment.
There is a non-violent FPS where you shoot paint, but it's hardly a milestone in gaming history.
Great games such as Max Payne wouldn't be possible without (moderate) violence.
I think that gams do follow the example set by movies, but in a good way, by simulating a real world, and the real world is full of violence (wars, crime).
Would you rather watch a cheesy romantic comedy than a good movie with some violence, I know I wouldn't. There are good violent movies and good non-violent movies, but they will always have to make both these kinds of movies.
I think in this new millennium the movies haven't improved much. I noticed that the tendency is for superhero movies(Spiderman, X-men, Hulk,etc.) movies I personally find to be worthless. The movies of the nineties were better.
I think that games are going in the good direction, constantly improving, some games have storylines better than today's movies, and that there will always be good violent games, as long as the violence isn't free.

By the way, you used violence (verbal - the f word) in your (good) article.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)

Last edited by Sly Boots; 08-06-2004 at 02:07 PM.