View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Hey all, sorry to shamelessly pimp The Thumb over here, but I figure there are some AG forumers who might find this interesting. I've just published a rant concerning violent games partially inspired by the recent murder case that's being blamed on Rockstar's Manhunt. Check it out and let me know what you think (there's a link to a feedback thread at the end of the article).
Hey Remi I really liked your article It made me think a lot about the subject of violence and games. Reading what you guys had to say and the comparisons you drew with the movie industry, here is why I believe most games are violent whereas you can find dramas, love stories and romantic comedies in the movie industry. The reason is a 4 letter word... GIRLS (well 5 letters in plural)... Yup That's Right!! The reason why games are more violent is because there are very few girls playing them. You guys mentioned Sims. I don't know any girl who plays games who hasn't loved or bought that game. You even mentioned yourself "My mom hates violent movies and cringes when she sees violence on screen". What is your mom? a girl. How many guys you think were dragged to the movie theatre to watch something like Shakespeare in love or Love Actually. Unless girls get into the mainstream video game business, Games are gonna be violent. What does a 10 year old child get for a birthday present? a girl gets a barbie. A guy??? G I Joe. It is all over our culture... and it doesn't make sense for companies to make these kinds of games unless there are more girls playing them. That is why you had a little of fighting in any game out there. Even lucas arts games like full throttle had a fighting scene on a bike. Let's admit it, Most guys don't wanna go to watch a cheesy romantic comedy. It's not a guy thing. They wanna watch XXX or fast and the furious. Same applies to games. Get the girls interested in video games and you'll see some of those games you are asking for. Until then, expect a doom 8 and a GTA 9.

Firefox rules