View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Sly Boots
Master of Time and Space

I sure hope not, but who knows.
The death of PC gaming would also mean the (real) death of adventure games as we know them, and that would really suck.
To tell you the truth, I don't have a very good opinion of consoles (I played on a PS2, and it didn't impress me at all). I mean, I see no real advantage of owning a console rather than a computer:
- the graphics cannot be and aren't better than on the PC (PS2 graphics sucks)
- the sound is the same
- gameplay is worse for keyboard/mouse game
- you can't upgrade
- it's not "that" portable(I'm talking about the "real game" consoles - PS2,Xbox), I'd rather have a laptop
- TV image - lower quality than a good monitor's image
- internet only in rudimentary form
- multiplayer games less challenging
and the list could go on & on & on...

The only advantage I can think of is that consoles are cheaper, but I think in the long run, the PC is more rewarding (you can do a lot more stuff such as use programs, internet). It's worthwhile because you don't have to buy a new one (like consoles), you can upgrade your video card and add more RAM.

I don't understand why some people prefer consoles or get excited every time a console game adds something new to console gaming, even though that something is old for PC gaming. I don't think a console title could ever be better than its PC version. Just look at Halo, it was a milestone for console gaming, its PC version, although much better than the console one, is mediocre compared to the PC titles.

The console supporters will probably say I have a problem with consoles, that I hate them. I don't, I just don't see anything good or revolutionary about them.

I do, however have an idea on why they're pushing us into console gaming rather than PC. The way I see it, it's just like MTV, they "force" you into a narrow way of thinking (because of the consoles' limited possibilities). In other words, they don't want you to learn something (like you could do with the computer - besides gaming), just to PLAY THEIR GAMES. They don't want you to fiddle with the computer(consoles can't be hacked), this way they can obtain control.

I also notice this tendency of every appliance to have its unique purpose. Stereos for music, DVD players for movies, consoles for games, even though it can all be done by a single machine: the PC. It seems like versatility is not an option. I mean, why buy one single device that serves all purposes when you can spend a lot more money on gadgets that are limited? [/sarcasm].

I'm sorry if this post is too long, I know a lot of you like consoles. But I think that they represent the biggest scam that large companies such as Activision, EA or Eidos have ever pulled on the gamers.

It's no longer about the games, it's just about the money.