View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #57
ConcreteRancor
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Personally I don't think indie adventure games are all that bad looking, but it would be nice if AGS had the same feature as ScummVM. You know, where it can take the blocky sprites & backgrounds, and slightly blur them to make for a better looking game.

Sky Warrior Bob
That's anti-aliasing, and although it can be effectively used to smooth out some uneven artwork, it does nothing to help artwork that is unattractive in the first place.

Although I can understand and will happily play a game with a background or a minor character that may not be up to par visually, I have no tolerance for, and will not play, a game that has a main character that is poorly drawn or animated. I will be looking at this character for the entire game, and if the designer is not willing to take the time to make it look good, why should I think the rest of his game is any better? Regardless of artistic ability, a game designer should have the ability to recognize an ugly character. There are quite a few of the RON games that suffer from this. (Which is unfortunate, because there are other RON games that have very impressive artwork.)

Whenever I look at an independent game that I may be interested in playing, I go and look at the art for the main character before I do anything else.