View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Interesting article!

When the startup I worked for imploded a few years ago I contacted the HR departments at every gaming company I could think of for writing opportunities. I write fiction but still needed a "real job," and writing for games seemed like it would be really fun. It was amazing - I literally couldn't find any job opportunities for writers. There would be several slots open for artists and programmers, but never writers. In fact, the only company I found that even alluded to needing creative writers was Cyan - which I found ironic considering their games have so little dialogue. (I guess they need people to write Atrus' library books?)

So I had to settle for a boring writing job instead. I'm lucky to be employed as a writer at all, and it pays my rent while I chip away on my novel and various other endeavors, but it's still not exactly my idea of a good time. (Ever spent an entire day sitting in front of a computer writing about genital warts? Didn't think so.)

Anyway, I wish I'd read your article three years ago! I'm going to check out the IGDA link, too.

emily