View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
amunptah

Yep Saxton is a bit of a mixed bag:
The name (I believe) is a fictional creation of Jonathan's, possibly without any link to the actual Saxton. Just the sax part being an Anglo-Saxon reference, and ton being a common suffix in english place names.
Saxton in the game is ostensibly located in East Anglia (Norfolk/Suffolk counties). This is an homage to the stories of MR James, which are frequently set in East Anglia. A Warning to the Curious provides much of the basic plot, characters and locations for The Lost Crown.
The actual places photographed for The Lost Crown are located in Cornwall (and one area in Devon), primarily in Polperro with a few locations in Looe and Talland nearby, and the village of Duloe north of Looe.
So: fictional town name, with photographs of Cornwall jammed into an East Anglian setting.

Out of interest: Barrow Hill is a fictional place, but many elements of the locations are homages to the countryside and historical features of Looe and it's surrounding area (particularly Duloe).

P.S. I'd love to write a book about Boakes and Clarks games, particularly their use of real world locations. Are folks interested enough for me to get clearance from Jonathan and Matt?