View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #107
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuntMonkey View Post
I'm pretty confused about what problem people have with the pitch video and the project in general. The video is fine, and it's good that they have great voice actors already lined up as opposed to the crap we get in most adventure games.
Well, their very first video (before the Kickstarter) was SO boring that I never got beyond the second minute and then just clicked 30 seconds forward a few times to see if it improved. It didn't. The moving cardboard thing was weird, too.

Their Kickstarter video has a few of the same problems: the Two Guys have absolutely NO chemistry in the video, I don't find the video funny in the slightest, and I don't get why the biggest selling point is the voice actors. Voice acting should be one of the LAST things to get added to the game, if funding allows it. It should not be a sales pitch.

Personally I find their pitch video uninteresting, which leads to me having little incentive to read the entire text on the Kickstarter page. It just doesn't grab me at all.

It also doesn't help that I never liked the Space Quest games in the first place, so I'm not on the nostalgia crew. Heck, the first Space Quest game is one of the main reasons why I dislike early Sierra games (SQI was brutal, unforgiving and not funny in the least).

The pitch of this campaign seems mainly focused on the nostalgia factor. Bad call. They should aim for new audiences, because the nostalgia crew will follow no matter what.

This means they should change their campaign to accomodate new players, or even players that disliked the Space Quest games. The demos are a really good start, and could potentially do wonders for my view of their campaign. But until then I remain very unimpressed.