View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
However, as much as I'm against piracy, I'm a strong believer in accessible culture. What I mean by this is that any creative work, particularly those that have cultural significance, should be freely accessible. My philosophy is that once a creative work becomes public, there is an implicit right for the consumer: no matter how much time passes, anyone should have the right to appreciate such work. Even if that goes against the author's wishes.
I disagree. That sounds like an entitlement mentality to me, and is EXACTLY the sort of argument used by those who DO employ piracy.

I don't see any compelling argument that I am ENTITLED to have access to all creative works ever made, no matter what. That sort of thinking is EXACTLY what leads people to think, "They are charging more than I want to pay for that. It should be freely accessible, therefore I am justified in illegally downloading it, since they won't make it available at a price I can afford." If you didn't make it, or somehow legally acquire it, I don't see where you could say you have ANY "rights" to access it, even if it would be NICE if you could.