View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Arial Type

Oh, that's a challenge! I will have trouble naming even 20 great freeware titles But my TOP-10 would look something like this:

1. A Tale of Two Kingdoms (AGS) - a damn great King's Quest-style game. I still can't believe so much effort was put into it. It is long, atmospheric, with a very detailed world and multiple solutions to puzzles.

2. Chzo Mythos (AGS) - a line of great horror adventures by Yahtzee, who knows his thing. They are connected by one story and universe, so I put them together.

3. Space Quest: Incinerations (AGS) - came out only this February, and I still can't praise it enough (praised it a bit in the topic of the same name).

4. King's Quest 2 VGA (AGS) - still the best fan-made remake. I really enjoyed how they added a lot of stuff to once poor story.

5. Out of Order - a truly British surreal comedy, long forgotten now, but still bringing smiles to my face when thinking about it.

6. Gretel and Hansel 1-2 - I just can't resist those ultra-violent Grimm Brothers-inspired adventures. Very stylish, funny and gory.

7. Fiend - the first game from the creators of Penumbra and Amnesia. A top-down survival horror that scared me to death when I played it back in early 2000's.

8. Pleurghburg: Dark Ages (AGS) - another forgotten AGS classics, heavily influenced by Gabriel Knight games. Bad graphics, good game.

9. The Winter Rose (AGS) - and another King's Quest-inspired ag that was great while it lasted. Catches the mood perfectly.

10. Nelly Cootalot, Ben There Dan That, The Apprentice and a number of other short, but sweet AGSs I will have too much trouble to remember

EDIT Oh, how could I forget? The guy from my avatar presents the best freeware game ever: Cave Story. It's not an adventure, but a breathtaking platformer with adventure elements, wonderful gameworld, storyline, characters, puzzles, music - you name it! Should be considered an adventure classics, if you ask me.

Last edited by Arial Type; 05-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.