View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 05:20 AM   #37
Melkor
Evil Incarnate

This is gonna be a lengthy post...

Quote:
For me, hands down, it would be Halo.
I totally agree! One of the most hyped and overrated game ever. If MS hadn't bought Bungie, the game could have turned out allright. The initial screens and stuff looked brilliant.

Quote:
Yes. Quake and Doom... just didn't do anything for me.

Total Annihalation, maybe it was all supposed to be about the multiplay or something but I found the singleplayer exceptionally uninteresting.

Morrowind... wide but shallow. It's a fun game, but the characters and dialogues are uninteresting and the locations are a bit repetitive. The story doesn't grab me either.

Also Unreal 2. But I think that's more down to a certain magazine going nuts about it. If ever journalism was for sale...
If you weren't baffled by the incredible graphics of Doom and Quake, you played them too late. They were quantum leaps ahead of any other games of their time (well, not Quake actually, after all DN3D was released the same year).

Total Annihilation wasn't a very balanced game, but it was fun. At least untill everyone at the LAN figured out the imbalances.

Morrowind is not overrated IMHO, one of the most enjoyable RPG's for the PC that aren't based on D&D. Makes other RPG's look like puny projects in it's sheer massiveness.

I'm with you on Unreal2 though... not very good at all.

Quote:
half life, was a good game but it was'nt anything great. i still bout it and played it to the full extent but the way people were obsessed about it was absurd
Again... If you played HL at it's release, you had to be blown away. HL had it all. I can't see how you weren't... one of the best games ever. End of story.

Quote:
LBA2. It was touted as an adventure game.
Well... sure, it was no adventure game (not in these forums anyways), but it was still a brilliant game.

Quote:
I think StarCraft gets a little more credit than it merits. I didn't think it very special.
First of all, Blizzards games are holy. They haven't got the slightest idea of how to make a bad game. They just can't manage to do it. SC is no exception. The best and most balanced RTS to date (with perhaps the exception of WC3). The first RTS to properly balance three playable (and very varied) races in a perfectly working dynamic.

Quote:
Erkki Topless Tennis Adventure.

Man, was that the most lame experience ever for me. I can't believe I spent 69 cents on that thing. I mean, you don't even get to see Erkki take his top off until the very end while cheap pr0nographic music plays, after the final boss slider puzzle! And to make it worse the damn credits roll just as he was slowly doing his striptease so that I couldn't see everything. And then the stupid thing crashed!!! Couldn't get it to work after. The worse thing, there was NO PATCH!!!
You are so wrong!!! Best. Game. Ev4r.

Quote:
Grand Theft Auto 3, most Overated Game Ever! I "Tried" to play this game many times and never found it interesting, then finally give up
Agreed, it's predecessors was so much more enjoyable. It lasted about a week or so on my HD.

Quote:
Diablo/Diablo 2
Warcraft 3

warcraft 2 rocks btw, but 3 is just a boring and lacking innovation.
Again... Blizzards games are holy. I never played the full version of Diablo, just the shareware, but my god... Diablo2... It's one of the best games ever. I could go on and on about what a stroke of genius this title is, but it would take all day. I bought the game early 2001 and I'm still playing it (in singleplayer no less!). I've spent countless hours with this game, and it's impossible to get bored with it.

I can't possibly understand what you people have against SC and WC3... they are without any doubt the two best RTS games ever created. I would very much like to know a RTS which comes even close to the complexity and refinement of these titles.

[/rant]

Pheuh!