View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #28
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
In regard to Multiplayer deathmatches, CTF, Team Deathmatch, assault, kart racing etc, I had the opportunity to play a lot of those mods on Quake for the PC. While this is a first for a console, it's something I'd had the chance to play earlier. I agree though, in terms of console first person shooters, much of what Halo delivered was cutting edge, and breaking ground. As I said before, I believe my problem with Halo was that I'd been spoilt by the PC FPS market, and the mods that were readily available with the internet at my disposal.
I think you're missing the point a bit (I'm not trying to be insulting, I probably just didn't explain myself well enough). I have been a PC gamer my whole life. I mean, I'm here on AG, so that makes sense. I've played all the major FPS games since Doom. I played Quake 1 for more hours than I'd care to count. I too had played modes like CTF and deathmatches. However, one of the things I was trying to say is that Halo has MORE modes than just those standard FPS modes. You've got stuff like Oddball, Accumulation, Team Crazy King, Phantoms, and the ability to create your own gameplay modes--WITHOUT having to create or install mods. Anyone can do it extremely easily, it requires no crazy programming knowledge. And even THIS wasn't my true point about the multiplayer, although it's a great bonus in itself. My point is how polished and solid the game feels to play it. No matter how great games like the Quake series and UT are on the computer, they feel somewhat raw and brutal (which can be good if you're in the mood for it) whereas Halo manages to always feel somehow more finished. This sentiment is one that has been echoed by many of my Halo-playing friends. Please bear in mind that this is not just some random console game. It's by Bungie, responsible for some of the all-time classic FPS titles, and it WAS going to be a computer game until fairly late in the game. I think you're giving it perhaps undue bias because of its immense popularity and console status. I might be wrong, that's just the impression I get. But whatever, not every game is for everyone.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright