View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera
Default So many adventures I don't know where to start!

Hi everyone!

As the old timers know I'm an old forum member that comes and goes every few years. It's hard to explain, but I tend to shift wildly between interests; One month I might be watching tv-series all day, another month I might be playing casual games, one month it might be MMOs, or films, and now I've swung back to Adventure games, having just completed both Gray Matter and Black Mirror 3 (liked both, miffed with both endings).
I can't say how long I'll stay or be interested in playing AGs this time, but at the moment at least I'm really interested in starting up a new game, I just don't know which one! I've bought so many over the last year(s) that I have a huge backlog and not sure where to start.

I was hoping you AGers could give me some tips or recommendations where to start. I'd like to try one of my Sherlock Holmes games, but I'm really unsure what to start with.
In general I prefer dark over light, 3rd person, strong story and inventory puzzles, 2,5d point and click, prefer realistic style over cartoony, but still love Broken Sword. I don't mind late-90s/early-00s graphics (Like TLJ) but have a problem getting into older games.

My games:
Started but not finished:
The Whispered World (not sure I'll ever get back to this one)
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (I do not understand what I'm supposed to be doing)
Mata Hari (might deserve a new chance, got lost in pc upgrade)
Sanitarium (so many bugs I had to give up, have not tried my current GOG version, or on this pc. Has gog fixed the crashing?)
Sinking Island (I'm not sure why this one never grabbed me)
And not an AG but Fallout, started, got stuck, never came back to it

Not played:
Alter Ego
AlternativA
A Vampyre Story
Art of Murder - Hunt for the Puppeteer
Big Brain Wolf
Jolly Rover
Memento Mori
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (have to play the first one first though)
Nikopol
Sam and Max season 3
Scratches: Director's cut
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper (going by the order Steam has listed them)
Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Sherlock Holmes: The Secret of the Silver Earring
Still Life 2

I see I've also bought but not downloaded (ops): The Gabriel Knight series (tried nr. 3, never got past the disguise puzzle), Beneath a Steel Sky (Think I got half way sometime) and Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Considering replaying:
Still Life (for Still Life 2)
Culpa Innata
Portal/2

Yeesh, that is one long list..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery