View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #1708
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I've agreed with criticisms you've made about the ending in the past but this kind of they-made-us-do-it inflammatory rhetoric is the very reason why the backlash to this game has been so disheartening to witness.
I was being deliberately facetious (in the delivery, not the point). I don't tend to rely on smilies, hoping people read enough from the delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
It doesn't matter if they gave players choice, it doesn't matter if there was going to be DLC, it doesn't matter if it was rushed [or] incomplete, this was BioWare's creative expression and anyone else trying to say how they have any stakes or ownership in it is wrong. There is no excuse for taking art away from the artist.
I couldn't disagree more. Shit in a can is art, too, try selling it to the masses. Commissioned art puts power into its sponsors hands. Bioware/EA went to great lengths to make sponsors of their fans. The recent Kickstarter craze is taking this a step even further (and more literal). Its going to be interesting to watch.

Call it art all you want, Mass Effect 3 is a product for sale and its customers live in an age of unrivalled buying power, thanks to the internet. Bioware/EA wanted all the perks of the digital age and none of the hazards. Being upset at the vocal fans is misdirected anger. The only power they wield is that given to them by Bioware/EA.

Monetizing the fuck out of their product bit them in the ass. If they want artistic freedom and integrity they should aim for it, next time.