View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
erodola

Not quite a point'n'click game, but a nice rpg/adventure hybrid that might appeal to some, I've recently completed Dream Master for NES (FC actually):

Never got a proper English release, but a patch has been released recently by aishsha,here. You are a Dream Master, a magician who's able to enter people's dreams and save them from oblivion. You've been tasked with saving a young princess' soul, kidnapped by the evil Black Master. So you basically enter her dreams and investigate them, there is a total of 7 dreams so the game is fairly short (and quite easy), and each dream represents a different world each with its own boss (a vampire, a Lamia, etc.). Yes you'll have to fight monsters in a turn-based fashion, but it's totally accessible even for those who don't like the genre, and grinding is not necessary at all. There are quite a few puzzle/adventure elements in the game, so that's why I'm recommending it here. Some are inventory based, some others are more of the lock combination / object hunting type. Also, the illustrations are beautiful (for the time/system). I suggest giving it a try, if not for a different experience (you can also try playing in Japanese and have a look at the graphics and music, it's quite intuitive anyway, but you'll miss the nice story).

For those interested, a full review of the game will appear soon on Hardcoregaming101.net.

Oh, forgot to say that the level screens are usually not clearly visible, being engulfed in a magical haze, so you'll have to walk over the tiles to uncover them. Hitting a wall will result in (very minimal) HP drain, and you can also recognize monsters by listening to the sound they make, revealing their position within 2-3 tiles from you. There is no really way to avoid the walls, but you can avoid pits (they make a blowing sound when you stand next to them), and you can assume a fair amount of symmetry in most rooms so you can imagine the walls location to a certain degree.