View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
chrissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
00's was the blooming time for all,.. freewars and indies and fans works to take the genre back to it golden days.

until now the living time of '10 and with all those kickstarters and the come back of many of the classic designers...

i thought there is something here should be examined ... or lets just say interesting .
I disagree that the 00's were a blooming time for all! The games since at least then have not had the level of backing from publishers they enjoyed in the previous decade(s)! Hence the many freewares & indies produced by developers dedicated to the genre which for the most part they've had to finance themselves!
The mainstream gaming media generally has since then attacked the genre quite viciously & still do so there have been difficult years with many AG developers not being able to get the support to develop & publish games. Most of the backed games come from mainland European countries where the genre tends to be more popular but many are not released in multiple languages! It's still the case now otherwise why would there be so many kickstarter campaigns? Despite that there have been some very good AGs produced!

I think the advent of instant download, & ports to DS, ipods & that sort of thing where you can 'game on the go' may start to give a new lease of life to AGs generally through access to a wider range of people who never knew what they were missing! - but there's still a way to go!