View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
chrissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post

.....Just think about this: in the best part of the first hald of 20th century a man working on a factory could support a large family, own a large house, a good car and fill the pine three to the top every Christmas. How are things today? As a woman, do you think you would receive more respect now or then? When was the last time soneone opened the door for you? When was the last time someone treated you like shit? Because let me tell you, back in the day even a dock worker knew that not treating a lady as a jewel would be a serious social offense in a good neighbourhood. Now many women are objects, disposable human condoms or mannish copies that can compete. Things sure are great for you..........
I tend to think Banter that you have a very idealistic & uninformed view!

My grandfather worked in a factory in the 1st half of the century. He worked 6 days a week & managed to buy a small terraced property for his wife & 3 children. He couldn't afford a car & as for filling the pine trees to the top every Christmas - no way! Money was tight & holidays, which consisted of a day trip to a seaside resort a couple of times of year, had to be saved up for! I'm sure this was typical of many families at the time.

My grandfather was a good man but you talk about dock workers treating a lady like a jewel in a good neighbourhood! That is such a generalisation! - through the ages many women just haven't been treated like jewels by men regardless of their social standing or whether it was a good/bad neighbourhood. The fact is that they have had to put up with disrespect and/or abuse in an era where they had no alternative but to put up with it & keep their mouths shut! Sadly, even in the Western World this situation continues despite the opportunities for women.

The 'sex and the city' lifestyle is not for me but if a man is promiscuous (which doesn't impress me actually) it is preferable that he is so on an equal basis with an open-minded promiscuous women - on a fair basis you can't have one without the other!

Opening doors for people & respectfulness are just good manners, but if a man makes a point with the gesture, I accept graciously - it happens a lot but I think a lot of it is also to do with attitude!

I don't think women are any more 'objects' or 'disposable human condoms' than they have always been considered by some men but I do object to your term 'mannish copies' - what do you mean by it? One of the comments made, somewhere in a couple of other posts, which I find offensive is the inference that strong women therefore must be lesbians.

To get back on topic this has all come about because of a publisher being accused of sexist (feminist - same thing!) because they produced a whole 3 adventure games with female protagonists. The 1st one So Blonde couldn't have worked otherwise, the 3rd Captain Morgane a spin-off from the 1st & the 2nd Gray Matter from a developer who's previous 3 games featured a male lead - coincidence & just the way arty people work!

Last edited by chrissie; 04-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.