View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

To the Moon was my favourite game of 2011.

There's a few things you need to keep in mind: this was more or less a one-man project. It was made with a free program called "RPG maker" that was designed to make 16-bit JRPGs (similar to what you'd see on the Super Nintendo back in the early '90s - like Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger). That's why it looks like an early '90s RPG and lacks voice-over.
It's low on gameplay, there are few puzzles, it's fairly straight-forward, and it takes about 4 to 4 and a half hours to complete.

Take some time to adjust to the old JRPG graphics and the lack of voice-over. If you can do that, you'll be sucked into one of the best and most emotional stories ever written.

The premise is simple: in the future, technology exists to enter a man's mind and give him new memories. This method is used to give a dying person "his final wish".
You play as Dr. Eva and Dr. Neil, who are asked to fulfill the dying wish of an old man (Johnny): he wants to go to the moon. But he doesn't know why.
Dr. Eva and Dr. Neil have to enter Johnny's memories and work their way back from his final years to his youth to find out WHY he wants to go to the moon, and to change his memories, so that he *remembers* that he went to the moon (even if he didn't really do it).
As the two doctors work their way back through Johnny's memories, they learn a lot about his life. This journey through his memories is very gripping, very emotional and even very romantic.

It's one of the most beautiful stories I've seen in a game, and the music in it is great as well!
It took me 4 hours and 20 minutes to finish this game, and I think that I was crying for more than half the time. It's THAT emotional!

"To the Moon" is a testament to life and love. Not playing it is missing out on a great GREAT story...