View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #398
Banter

Quote:
"I’ve tried that [to get access to the IP] a number of times over the years. I have several pretty developed pitches that I’d taken to them at one time or another. Sometimes it just depends who is actually sitting in the licensor chair at any given moment and I’ve never caught that right moment, when it’s the right person sitting in the chair. So I think from my most recent discussions with them... they’re going to want to see we’re established and we’ve shipped a product. So I think there’s a good chance of that happening maybe next year."
That sucks. If I get it right it is pretty much the same situation Al Lowe found himself in. Funny thing though, lately a lot of big companies have been throwing their big franchises at the hands of new and upcoming developers. The two last Silent Hills have been developed by unkown studios, for instance. It must be bad luck that activision is so demanding about titles that have been dormant for so long.

I don't get the suits, these people CREATED these series in the first place... why ask them to prove they can ship a product if you are sitting on their work to begin with?

I can only imagine the monty pythonesque exchange:

Jane Jensen: I want to make a fourth Gabriel Knight game
Activision executive: Okay Jane, but in order to do that you need to prove you can make a game.
Jane Jensen: Well, I created the series and developed all 3 games in it.
Activision executive: Erm... sorry. You will have to try a little harder than that.

Last edited by Banter; 04-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.