View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #341
Banter

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is my favorite adventure game ever and I would easily make a case for it being *the* best adventure game ever. I was a young teen when I played it and it really got me from the begginning to the end. The characters had true charisma and the historical and religious themes struck a chord with my traditional catholic upbringing. It was a game for me.

More than anything though, the story was so very well woven and the game design was so masterful that the game kept you playing it eagerly until the end. All of Jane's other games have those qualities in a way, even though none is so dear to me as GK1.

GK1 was also probably the very first serious attempt at making an adventure game in the form of a thriller. It was dark and mature without being heavy, and it had good humour without ever becoming too cheesy. It was just like any good graphic novel or pulp book. It is much more influential than people give it credit for and it hasn't been topped by anything that came after it.