View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Wing Commander Saga

Ahh Wing Commander. Memories of the days when it was released and you had to amend your Config and Autoexec files to get the thing to run. The days when DLC didn't exist and you had to buy mission discs and sound packs in seperate boxes. When Origin were the king of developers and not just a Steam service rip off, when each sequal meant you had to upgrade you PC.

Ahhh Nostalgia.

Well the good folks at http://www.wcsaga.com/ have spent the last 10 years dreaming of those days and recreating them using the Freespace open Engine.

It is a free fan based game in the Wing Commander universe. Based around the familiar mission structure of the classic games you will launch your fighter/bomber against the Kilrathi with 55 new Wing Commander missions set around the time of WC3.

Everything is pretty authentic to the original games from the menu to the enemy taunts, the ship designs and the sounds. The script seems fairly decent and the voice work is surprising not hideous for a fan project.
You really feel like you are playing playing one of the old games.

The graphics are ok in the space parts, most of the ships look fine. The animation briefings and map screens are authentic and even if they look a bit amateurish they do the job.

Unfortunatly it is missing a couple of items that made the WC games so much fun. The game is pretty much one mission breifing after another. There is no walking around you ship talking to the other pilots etc and the classic running to you ship animation is missing

It is a fun and competant space shooter which suffers from a little slowdown here and there and has a stiff learning curve (i.e it's a 90's game).

Pretty decent fo £0.00.

3.5/5