View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Adventure Games Forever

Default Tex Murphy

To everyone reading this, now might be a good time to start playing the Tex games if you haven’t already. If you start playing the Tex games now, you should have time to finish at least two or three of them by May 15. On that day, if you’ve done your Tex game playing homework, you’ll probably want to sell your kidneys so that you can pledge a huge amount for the Kickstarter fund.

If you want to play the best Tex games, then I would say play UAKM, then Pandora, then Overseer. However, if you want to have the full Tex Murphy experience, play all five of them, in order. Keep in mind that if you start with Mean Streets though, you might not like it and give up on Tex games. Before you do that, please know that the last three Tex games are NOTHING like the first two! For this reason, I suggest the following to be the ideal introduction to Tex Murphy…

Under a Killing Moon is divided into six playable chapters, which the game calls days. If you have never played a Tex game before, play Day One: Cuffing up Flemm. Day One in this game is the only Day in a Tex game that has a self self-contained case that doesn’t have anything to do with the game’s main case. It’s also a great introduction to Tex Murphy and his world. Day One has about 3 or 4 hours of gameplay, so it will tease you with what great things are to come when you dive into the last three, and best, games of the series. Playing this segment of UAKM may help you get through Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum. You may be tempted to just continue on to Day Two of Under a Killing Moon, but keep in mind that the following is the FULL Tex Murphy experience to a newcomer…

Under a Killing Moon (Day One)
Mean Streets
Martian Memorandum
Under a Killing Moon (entire game)
Under a Killing Moon Novel (the novel is based on the game)
The Pandora Directive Novel (the game is based on the novel)
The Pandora Directive (Entertainment mode)
Tex Murphy: Overseer (Entertainment mode)

And once you’ve done all that, you may want to even replay The Pandora Directive on the Game Player mode, and also try to go down a different narrative path. You could also play the Game Player mode in Overseer, but that game doesn’t have different narrative paths, new content, and new environments on it’s harder mode like The Pandora Directive does. Most Tex fans consider The Pandora Directive to be the best, and most repayable game in the series.

I did a similar thing to the Sam & Max series in 2007. The first Sam & Max game I played was Telltale’s very first episode (Culture Shock), and since I loved the game and the characters, I decided to go back and play Hit the Road before continuing to the second Telltale episode (Situation: Comedy). I am glad I did it this way!