View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
Toefur
More slaw!!!

It's definitely not as good as they say.

Everyone keeps saying that up until the last 10 minutes it's the most awesome game ever, and then the ending comes along and ruins it all. I disagree with this. The game pales in comparison to the first game, story-telling wise. The story telling in Mass Effect 3 isn't really as wonderful as some people seem to make it out to be; the inclusion of characters from previous games is often forced and stretches credibility, and I really get the feeling that somewhere along the lines the success of their previous games got it into the heads of the Bioware writers that Mass Effect was a great work of literature because I felt they were really pushing too hard with the whole, "This is war, war is tough" angle.

The scene with Mordin, is okay - not fantastic - but the internet seems to have eaten it up and believes it to be the most touching moment in gaming.

And as has been said earlier, the missions were boring and repetitive. Okay. I don't play Shooters, and I played Mass Effect for the story, but oh-my-god I almost gave up on Mass Effect 3 because I didn't want to have to go through another mission that was practically identical to the previous.

While Mass Effect 1 felt like a brilliant space opera, with what felt like a huge open galaxy to play in, Mass Effect 3 felt like a failed attempt at some lesson in fatalism or something.

I can't really write much without spoiling this for people that haven't played it; but I honestly wasn't expecting the ending to be as disappointing as the internet had led me to believe it was. But the ending was a lot more than disappointing. It was like Battlestar Galactica all over again. Only worse.

I was a fan of the series. The first game was the first game of this generation I truly loved, I read the books, the second game I felt was a let down on the first one for many reasons, and the third game... I'm sorry, but the way it plays out, and the way things happened and ended just does not leave me with a positive experience whatsoever.