View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #1689
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Mass Effect 2 DLC - Kasumi / Overlord / Firewalker / Lair of the Shadow Broker / Arrival

Prior to starting Mass Effect 3 I wanted to complete all the DLC to make my imported character a FULL imported character (having played through ME1, ME2 and all the DLC for both games). That meant I had to complete some DLC I hadn't played yet: practically all of the DLC packs, except for Zaeed which was Day 1 DLC (EA's dick move to extort more money out of people - a move they've repeated with the Eden Prime mission this time around).

Kasumi is a decent character (the cloaking and popping up behind enemies is VERY useful in combat - keeps the enemies attention away from you), and the first part of the DLC mission is really good (no action for a change). The last part however, is quite difficult since it's only you two (no third squad member), and the gunship is hard to take down. Decent DLC.

Overlord changes things up by adding a Hammerhead mission in it. The entire thing is a pretty good mission (and the scenery during the Hammerhead part is gorgeous). I rather liked this DLC.

Firewalker takes the Hammerhead part a bit too far, though. The regular missions (as well as the mining) become tedious after a while. Not the best DLC, imo.

Lair of the Shadow Broker on the other hand is something else. They change the gameplay DRASTICALLY in this by having a car chase in it, as well as some opponents that have previously unseen abilties. That plus the fact that it's a really interesting mission makes this one of the best (as well as the meatiest) missions in the entire game. By far the best DLC you can get for Mass Effect 2, LotSB is a piece of genius.

And lastly there's Arrival. This one is just forced. You have to play it alone which adds some stealth (although you can hardly call it stealth, more like "don't open the obviously guarded doors and don't engage any of the guards who constantly have their back towards you"). When you get to Dr. Kenson, however, this DLC becomes insanely difficult because you're on your own. There are two sequences where you're fighting waves of enemies AND an YMIR Mech. Doing this alone is really hard, even on the "casual" difficulty setting. Plus half of the mission makes no sense. This has to be the first time in the entire series where Shepard makes a decision regardless of whether or not you want to. Over 300000 lives get sacrificed and you don't get the Paragon "I'm not sacrificing all those people" option. I get WHY this is, but it still bugs me. What puzzles me as well is why, when Shepard gets knocked out and sedated for almost two days, no-one on the Normandy seems to attempt a rescue mission. I'm Commander Shepard, for Pete's sake. If I go off the grid for even an hour, Garrus should've started a big-ass rescue mission.
I didn't like this DLC because it's too hard at times, it's too long (without any changes in gameplay, at least), and it feels too forced. They just crammed it in there as a bridge between ME2 and ME3 to fit the ME3 starting point. They could've handled it a lot better.