Thread: inovative game
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismort
Im new here but oldtime adv fan like alot of people out there and for me it has been sad to watch the "demise" of the point'n'click adventures, if one can call it such.
Why sad? P&Cs are not going away any time soon. Just check out the upcoming titles this year.

Quote:
However I like the idea of mixing adventure elements into other gaming genres which can be seen in alot af games today. I was wondering if anyone around here has made some thoughts about innovative adventure game design which hasnt been seen or been made before.

Left to right - Fahrenheit, Missing (In Memoriam), Façade.

Oh man, you should have been here a few years ago. We had so many discussions (and discourses) over how to innovate the adventure game. Heated arguments aside, many us here did agree that the genre needed to be re-thought, re-considered, re-conceptualized.

Take a look at the three titles above. They, imo, represent the new generation of adventure gaming experience. And it's not just in terms of technology upgrades, either, as so many hardcore adventurers are always complaining about. These three games are changing the fundamental constructs of the adventure genre itself, by presenting such groundbreaking ideas as shifting multi-character perspectives, pervasive gameplay incorporating the Internet itself, and plunging the player into a collaboration with the very plot itself to steer the narrative direction of the game. And in defiance to these ignorant adventure gaming Luddites, it is in fact the technology that is helping to make these changes possible. The fact that these particular innovations do not seem to be happening to games in any other genre at the moment is itself startling - ironic, considering you'd never even dream of it in an adventure game.

Quote:
Personnaly I yet have to see a multiplayed point'n'click adv game!
I personally would find that boring, but then I've always felt that a real time 3D world is the best setting for a multiplayer (and coop) experience. What I love about a 3D multiplayer world is precisely the freeform exploration it allows you and other players, all done on-the-fly. With a 2D world, it must all be pre-rendered, which severely limits you right there. Someone has to keep churning out hand drawn or computer rendered flat worlds, there is no possibility for a scene to continue when your avatar reaches the right side of the screen, and an edit or fade-in to the next scene would rudely destroy the immersion. It would look and feel absolutely awkward.

If anything, why not an axonometric view, like in Diablo II. Or in 3D where the camera can swivel around the characters and even zoom in on them, as in Neverwinter Nights? I think that's more fair than a flat 2D background that perpetually 'slideshows'. And that's it. I'd hate to play a slideshow multiplayer game, the idea sounds quite silly.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 06-07-2004 at 08:32 PM.