View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #47
ozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
As I said, it's your loss. Don't try to convince me, PLEASE. For me it's enough that developers like Bethesda and Gearbox are supporting Steam and Steamworks. That says it all.
Well, why would I try to convince such a close-minded fool like you?
Ugh, I needed to get that off my chest...

Quote:
Oh and BTW Alan Wake managed to recoup its costs within the first 48 hours of being on sale... Wow, Steam's bad...
Again, you reveal yourself to be the master of the straw man! I never said Steam was bad. I'm very well aware of its positive effects. I'm just not convinced why I should, without any objections, use this service.
On Steam you buy games you never own and you can only use as a part of a service offered to you. That's not great value for money, especially since I can't resell the games. Not that I'm too bothered about that, but I think this should be reflected in the price.
You may be surprised to hear that at the time of writing I "own" (notice the sneer marks?) 63 games on Steam. So I do use the service and I used it less warily in the past. But considering the bad experiences I had with DRM generally and the DRM from Steam specifically I'm generally not willing to pay full price for a game on Steam anymore. I'm willing to pay a much lower price because that's how much the service is worth to me. But I wrote all this before so I'm not sure why I bother to write it all again...
Let's just say that if I had the choice between buying a game on Steam and buying a game on GOG I will always buy it on GOG.

Quote:
If you choose not to support it you'd probably miss out on some awesome games like Borderlands 2 and Daedalic's new game The Dark Eye: Chains Of Satinav.
Honestly, I'm so spoiled for choice that I can bear to miss out on the occasional title. I might make an exception for The Dark Eye, because Daedalic. Depends on how good the demo will be.

Quote:
Oh and btw, if a certain game is being sold in Germany and it is censored, how is Steam supposed to offer an uncut version of that game when such a version is not being offered at retail ?! If an uncut version is not being sold in your country then Steam has no right to sell it to you, because that might be against the law.
[sarcasm]Wow, you seem to know our laws better than we Germans here do![/sarcasm] It's NOT against the law to sell indexed games to adults. It's only against the law to sell them to minors and to advertise them. That has always been the case and it never changed. There ARE a few exceptions which aren't even allowed to be sold to adults, but those aren't the kind we're talking about here and they're very few in numbers anyway. Wolfenstein 3D was such a game, because of all the swastikas. Didn't matter that you were shooting all the nazis...

Quote:
Scanning your ID card would be the absolute worst way to clarify your age/maturity, because it would require for it to be checked by a real person. So, imagine that there's a HUGE release like GTA and 1000s of ppl are submitting their ID cards, then those ppl would have to wait for hours to even start downloading the game. That's why it's called digital distribution, because all the processes are done automatically.
Well, finally something I would be happy to disagree with! Waiting for hours would still be better than waiting for days for your imported copy to arrive.
I'm not sure how this would work anyway since I never did any online age verification before. But I would make use of it on Steam because I already imported many games from Valve before, like Left 4 Dead and The Orange Box.
I think the point of an eID is that you don't need any manual intervention from a real person, but I dunno. I guess kuze is more knowledgeable in this regard than I am.

Edit: Now, this time kuze beat me to it.

Last edited by ozzie; 03-01-2012 at 04:15 AM.