View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #35
TopCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I agree with ozzie. Steam is a fine service, I like it a lot, but I would like it even more if it dropped DRM altogether. It's also horrible to German customers who would like to enjoy uncensored games, as it's simple not possible to verify that you're over 18. I'm only able to enjoy both L4D titles in all their gory glory because I got BOXED copies on British amazon. And by trying to circumvent this limitation (using whatever means necessary like gifting, VPN etc), I'd put my ENTIRE library in danger, since Steam can decide any moment that I violated their ToS and close my account (which is also a strong point against DRM in digital distribution).

As for the "I'll just buy the games again if Steam closes" argument -- this is exactly what publishers would like you to do, buy everything separately for each person, service and platform (yes, I'm aware Steam is quite liberal in this regard at the moment). You're not even supporting the actual devs by doing this, you're just pouring more money down the throat of whoever's currently holding the license for the game. Frankly, this is shit.

As for Deponia -- well, they're selling the boxed copy for less money than the average game, without any DRM at all. Even if I had the choice, I'd still get the boxed version.
I guess it's Valve's fault that Germany has harsh ( and even stupid ) censorship laws as far as video games are concerned, right ?

Steam's DRM is perfectly fine as it provides you with loads of benefits like automatic game updates, achievements, cloud saves, etc. Skyrim's console versions got leaked way before the PC version because of the fact that Skyrim's a Steamworks game.

Gabe Newel once said that if Steam was to close down a patch would be issued to allow for all the games to be played without the need of the client.