View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #47734
Trunkyo
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Heh, I remember looking like that when I was 4. On Koninginnedag (April 30 when we celebrate the Queen's birthday) we had to sit in a trailer towed by something big, and sing a very stupid song about a Chinese person while being towed through the village. We were clad in what was then regarded as 'Chinese' clothing. We had a Chinese girl in kindergarten at the time who told us that she never said "Wing wang wok-eee oo-aaaaaaa" at home. I absolutely hated the whole charade and I still don't see the fun of it.
I never say "Wing wang wok-eee oo-aaaaaaa" at home either.

I'm curious about the cultural relevance of that bit of "pageantry" to Koninginnedag, if any, tsa. It sounds like they never bothered to consult any Chinese people! I know it was probably meant to be light-hearted and cute, they could probably get away with it back then. If I were in your place, I probably would have stubbornly refused to participate and screamed my head off until my little horns popped off and my face turned purple (well, a different shade of purple)!