View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Jannik

Default 2012 - The year of interactive storytelling?

Last year was a pretty good year for interactive storytelling, spawning games like To The Moon and L.A. Noire, and a decent amount of quality traditional adventure games. But it looks like, IMO, that 2012 could be the year of interactive storytelling - well, maybe a tie with some years in the 90s.

And this is only February - plenty of interesting games can still be announced and finished in 2012!

The only thing, IMO, that is missing, so far, is the prospect of at least one big-budget game that tries something new - last year it was L.A. Noire, and in 2010 we timed the events quickly in Heavy Rain.

Please note:
- All games included in the lists are chosen because they, IMO, stand out - usually because they use nontraditional storytelling methods and/or are highly anticipated because of the development team/designers.
- Since most of the games are adventure(-ish) games I've chosen to post in the adventure sub-forum.
- All included games have a good chance of a 2012 release, but not all have release dates yet.
- This is just my take, and I could easily have missed something - feel free to agree or disagree, add games, and discuss The Year Of Interactive Storytelling(TiM) in general!

Unreleased games:

Double Fine Adventure - Tim Schafer! Ron Gilbert! Double Fine!
I Am Alive - Interesting survival action-adventure
Cradle
The Last of Us - survival action-adventure from the peeps behind Uncharted
Toren - ICO-like puzzle-adventure
J.U.L.I.A.
Banner Saga - exploration-based RPG + turn-based strategy + choices + ex-Bioware developers
Karateka (remake/re-imagining) - platform game from Jordan Mechner (The Last Express)
The Witness - Jonathan Blow (Braid)
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Jane Jensen is helping out
Dead State - interesting survival-RPG
Age of Decadence - RPG with elements of text adventure and Choose Your Own Adventure
Resonance
The Last Guardian - the team behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
Lifeless Planet - explore a (perhaps) lifeless planet
Lucius
Papo & Yo - a personal puzzle-adventure about addiction
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Drox Operative - RPG with dynamic, emergent storytelling
Leisure Suit Larry (remake) - Al Lowe is involved
Mass Effect 3
South Park: The Game - I'm serious
Dishonored - Harvey Smith (Deus Ex)
Botanicula

Released games:

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Dear Esther
AMY - sadly it turned out to be pretty bad, according to reviews, but it seemed unique
Enter The Story - partly released

EDIT: Enter The Story is a multiple-game project and will continue after 2012.

Last edited by Jannik; 02-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.