View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
cbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
when i read the Aggie Awards and found that Book of Unwritten Tales is almost mentoned pretty much every category i thought (Just My Opinion) that it doesnt worth ALL that praising ,yeaah it its a big production Adventure with all the elements of a great game Animation,Voiceovers and graphics ....etc

Unfortunately, the genre is so moribund and ignored by anyone other than indie developers that just a game with professional (not even necesarily high) production values will be hailed as one of the 'games of the year', even if it is totally unoriginal in every way. I increasingly think these Broken sword style games are dead in the water. They haven't moved on at all in the last ten years. Since 2000 there has been more or less no tweaking with the formula, except for making things like hotspot finders and help systems common. Syberia or Still Life or the Black Mirror would have been exactly the same had they come out in 2011, except for having higher resolution graphics. I know that nostalgics don't want anything original but the rest of the gaming world would like to see more progression. Well, I would, at the very least.

I've been playing Lost Horizon; it's fine and it looks nice but its basically just Broken Sword, like a hundred other adventure games i've played. People got sick of Myst clones; will they eventually tire of this clone type too? Well, the wider gaming world did a long time ago, which is why these games are now just a niche.

So for me games like Stacking, Amnesia etc are underrated amongst AG players because they are trying to DO something different with this tired old Adventure game formula and people should be singing their praises to the Heavens. But they rave about games like the one you mentioned instead. In all honesty I am bored to tears by that formula.