View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #125
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
I don't know why you think they've done any groundwork. They're claiming they don't even know what the game is about yet (although guys like Tim and Rom surely have notebooks full of unused adventure game ideas they could never get made). $400,000 would have been a very small game with almost no voiceover. I'm glad the concept has expanded well beyond that, and that they've left the door open to develop a concept that suits the budget.

They're probably feeling a lot of pressure now to make a really good game out of what they probably considered a small side project.
I don't know why you think they HAVEN'T done any groundwork.

Do you think Tim Schafer would start this up without a single clue on what he'd like to make, and already pinning an october release on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
HUH???

First of all, let me repeat that it's not 400. Minus $100k for the documentary, 9 or 10 percent for Kickstarter and Amazon Payments, which leaves 270K. Peanuts when you consider the production costs of their previous LucasArts adventures.

Monkey Island 1 ('90) - $135K. No voices!
DOTT ('93) - $300K. Plus voices added later.
Full Throttle ('95) - 1.5M
Grim Fandango ('98) - 3M

And those were dollars from a different era. Inflation and all that. Makes me wonder what they had in mind when they set the goal at 270K.
Those LucasArts games were made in a time when those games were the biggest things out there. Adventure games aren't like that any more. They're made by much smaller teams than in the '90s, which also makes them cheaper.

Besides, Tim Schafer has been around for long enough to be able to predict the budget he'll need. I don't think he planned on overshooting the target by THAT much. My guess is that he really only needed 400K (or 270K if you count only the net game budget).