View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Anarchosyn

Default Looking for a game suggestion (and 'Ello!')

Hi guys (and, I hope, gals).

This is my first post in what I hope is a rather tight knit community of gamers so, before rambling on about my own problems (problems I hope you all can help me with), let me introduce myself:

My name is Enon. I'm in my 30th. Bit of an academic mixed with the aesthetics of a world traveling street punk, but will always have a place in my heart for games. I cut my teeth with Infocom, grew into adolescence with Sierra and -- far later in life -- discovered the joys of (Monkey Island era) Lucas Arts. Beyond a few notable exceptions, namely Siberia and Still Life, I've not played many modern adventure titles -- and many classics I missed out on as well (Myst, etc).

Anyhoo, glad to be around here.

Now for my question!

I've made a new friend here in Portland, Oregon, who is open to being exposed to modern gaming. I'm unsure of her experience, but I think it taps out with the Super Nintendo (and probably zero with PC titles, modern or classic). She's a talented writer, lover of libraries and an emotionally centered young lady (Tori Amos listener, etc). Most notably, she's into fantasy and young adult literature -- so things like The Little Prince, The Hunger Games, Tolkien and Harry Potter seem high on her list. She seems to appreciate art and imagination, but isn't attracted to darkness or cynicism (well, besides being attracted to me as a friend ).

Anyhoo, I was hoping somebody could give me suggestions for some decent adventure titles that would hit these marks, or at the least offer a glimmer of excitement to one who normally would prefer a good, albeit light, read to a murderfest action game.

Sadly, I'm not really a low or high fantasy person -- the closest I have come in recent years have been RPGs like Witcher II, Skyrim and Dragon Age. All three of those seem too combat oriented to share so I turned to my original love, adventure games.

Siberia? Good.. but maybe as a second choice since the puzzles can be a bit obtuse for new gamers.

Still Life? Too modern and dark in theme, me thinks.

Beyond those two, I can only think to old Sierra classics (King's Quest, most notably). Sadly, Sierra titles can be sickeningly unfair pixel hunts half the time.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Longest Journey? Never played it, and only the sequel seems to be capable of running on newer operating systems. Still, I'm unsure of what she's running so.. would that be good? Is it simple enough to not discourage somebody entirely new to the genre (but fantastical enough to engross one's curiosity)?

Just curious..