View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #69
Free Spirit

'Yes, but...'

The character in the game should be able to die,

I agree with most points being said by like-minded people. The same goes for other games. A FPS without dying would probably be no fun to play, there is a certain skill level involved. I understand it's not the same for adventure games, but the fact that the player character can die shows something about the vulnaribility (or even 'normal'ness of the character) or about the danger the enemy poses. Fighting off the coming end of the world (in the form of some terrible monstrosity) while playing as regular joe..., would be more serious and immersive when joe is able to die.

If you're playing a game where you spend alot of time in dangerous situations and in dangerous company (like GK, Broken Sword, etc) it's only normal to show how dangerous it can actually be for your 'standard human' character. Often in adventure games a person of some wit (wich they promptly have to use to get out of the situation at hand).

but...

there has to be a certain level of fairness. I liked the person who said something about the piranha pond. If you actively choose to jump into said pond, well deserved death. Just trying to look at the pond shouldn't outright kill the player. Same for the warning system and auto-save (or some other form of try again button). Walking around in the most dangerous areas without a scratch and suddenly dying in the final act of the game is just weird, make the danger for the player character obvious from the start.

All in all, it's not about reflexes and skills in adventure games, it's about using smarts and logic (well... hopefully logic). Death in adventure games should adhere to those same rules. Death serves a role in adding immersion and threat, or even to flesh out the player character. I can relate more to George or Gabriel then i can to Space Marine #27. Saying it serves no point because you can reload your game... how is that any different then reloading any other action or FPS game?