View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #55
FrankB

I never understood how dying adds anything to an adventure game.

The only thing it does, is make you save every few minutes, or every time you have done some action that should be saved, even just picking up an object, and that gets annoying, especially if you "only" have 30 save slots. There is no risk element at all, because you make sure that you are not set back when you die, so what is the point?

Now developers have started making autosaves before places where you can die, or an undo function. Again, what is the point of dying then?

It doesn't make us play any more carefully and think about what we do. It just makes us waste a lot of time on saves and reloads, which is not why I play adventure games. Is there anything more annoying than the constant saving and reloading in the old Sierra games? I could do without it.

If dying really should be implemented in a game, then it should be definitive. Game over. No reload of any kind, but start over from scratch. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Personally I would never play a game like that, and I guess that is why we never see it. Dying is always harmless, which is actually stupid if you think about it.

Last edited by FrankB; 02-06-2012 at 03:22 AM.