View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #4019
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Let Me In – 3 / 5

It's 95% identical to Let the Right One In - if you don't count the English translation and use of different actors -, yet it's 100% inferior. And I don't even really get why that is...
They had the perfect cast. The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said Chloë Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well. I've rarely been so intrigued by the casting choices for a remake. This actually looked promising.
Now that I've seen it, I don't know how they could make this both so close to the original yet so far from it in terms of quality. Not that it's bad – you can’t really go wrong with the original book and movie script – it's just inferior. It's like director Matt Reeves has totally missed the dark undertone and the actual point of the movie. Although, to be honest, I should've seen that coming when they changed the original title to "Let Me In". That simply misses the double layer of the original title in favour of an actual quote. It misses the part of 'Let the Right One In' that leaves a bad taste in your mouth during the ending credits.
For lack of a better comparison: it's like renaming Bin-jip (literally "Empty House") to 3-Iron. Yes, the title has something to do with the movie, but it also misses the point entirely. I prefer when titles go more for meaning and less for the "most frequently appearing object or quote". And titles are important!
Couldn't agree more. Though I'd probably give it a lower rating myself. Me and my sister both thought it was inferior in every way and totally unnecessary. The only two things I liked was how the movie started - Håkan's capture, before jumping back in time - and that the bullies were portrayed as more aggressive/violent. But the chemistry between the two leads did nothing for me and it lacked that haunting charm. The CGI was godawful too...

Definitely don't need to see it again...

Quote:
The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said Chloë Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well.
Wow! That was quite an impressive guess...

One Hour Photo

Me and my family had only got round to watching this the other week despite having it on DVD for ages.

Robin Williams stars, in one of his more serious roles, as a shy, socially inept, lonely (bit like me ) photo technician/developer called Seymour "Sy" Parrish who works at a local supermarket. Problem is, he has an unhealthy obsession with a particular family - the Yorkins - whom he develops photos for. Using the negatives, he makes copies of their photos for himself so he can share their happiness and memories, he fantasizes about being a part of the family, and tries to get closer to them.

Eventually, Sy discovers that his ideal family aren't quite as perfect as he thought, causing him to go over the edge.

I rather enjoyed this one. And Sy comes off as both creepy and sympathetic.

4/5
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 02-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.