View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #19
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
If a developer makes a game based on the factors which players consider when buying a game, they wont be getting my money. Not as a moral principle, but because I find developers always do better when their work comes from the heart, making the game how they want it rather than how their customers want it.
Heart or lack thereof will always show through, but you shouldn't damn creators for a bit of target audience research. After all, your heart is not where you'll find the money to pay for an additional graphic artist. It's important to have some idea if you can re-coup your investments.

EDIT: I think the poll should have "music and dense atmosphere" as one of the choices (also suggested by Schneckchen). When I play something like Scratches or Outcry (and the majority of slower-paced 1st person games) those 2 are key elements of the overall experience.