View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #4017
TiAgUh
handsome

Nightwatching and Rembrandt's J'accouse

Both from Greenaway; the first being a full-length movie about Rembrandt's fall, and Greenaway's version of what the famous mysterious paiting "The Night Watch" or "The Shooting Company of Frans Banning Cocq" is all about, and the latter being an 1h25min-long documentary dissecting\explaining even more the painting\Greenaway's views in a sorta like making-of... sorta.

Martin Freeman plays a wonderful Rembrandt which goes along beautifully with the pompous symbolism-filled imagery we're used from Greenaway (love it!) and, even tho it's not M.Nyman or Wim Mertens this time, the soundtrack still has some striking tunes -- wish I knew who plays the violin one . But what the movie captured perfectly was Rembrandt's relationship with Saskia -- I've always loved his studies of her and what they ment --, even though she should've looked a bit more uninteresting-like and Hendrickje, well, she's supposed to be plump. But nitpicking aside, the movie was awesome, especially if you're an art lover like moi.

I just wished the documentary was bit longer cause I was loving hearing Greenaway's reasons like as to why those weren't dwarfs a la Velázquez's Las Meninas (which I always thought they were) or talking about stuff that few know like the liaison between the story behind Andries de Graeff's portrait and the central figure of the painting, Frans Banning Cock.