View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #68
Monolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Which ones don't?
A lot. Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy (well until you get to the weird part then you sort of become a hero of sorts), Penumbra, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (you mainly are enemies/strangers to everyone. Survival is the name of the game, not heroism), etc. Basically any game where the character is someone who is being heroic. Usually the best games don't follow that route.

Its called the hero's journey in screenwriting. Breaking that norm makes for a more unique experience, most of the time psychological.

Quote:
I don't get what you mean by this?
Basically focusing more on abstract and surreal ideas instead of providing a clear vision for the user. Normally having them decode the imagery instead of the game doing it for them.

The difference is the player solves a jigsaw puzzle. Psychologically you can say the player must solve the puzzle, but must get passed his focus on a bad habit, or a cruel memory of the past.

Its not exactly a clear idea, but if you get it, cool, if not, then too bad.

Quote:
That would be boring. Why introduce conformity? However the developers choose to express the relationship between the subject and its environment, I should think, determines "how the character actually acts like they exist in the world". And a video game world is always a "world" in itself, and can never be our world.
There's a difference between that and not making your characters look like floating robots with bad animations. I'm guessing you missed the point entirely.

I'm talking about proper animations and how the character reacts to the world. For instance the character will move properly when moving from point a to b instead of a general line or curve. Animation blending and so on. Plus characters have weight applied based on the leveling of the floors and so on. Or when they move along a wall the character lifts their arm and hovers it over a wall and so on. not just scripted sequences that only appear once. Literally making the character react to the world the way they should.

What you are fighting for is robotic characters is more preferred than literally making a believable scene/world.

A lot of adventure games, the characters just feel like they are just floating characters moving on top of a fake background, with cool shadows overlayed on it. The players still do not apply the physical weight of the world upon themselves. Pretty much all AAA games apply this now. Adventure games....won't happen with that attitude.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/