View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Oscar
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Having a good story has always been the most important aspect of a game for me. As long as the story is there then I don't mind getting slapped around the head with a puzzle every five seconds, and I also don't mind a near-complete lack of puzzles.
Interesting, I'm the exact opposite. As I said, if I want a good story, I'll read a book or go to a movie. But mostly I play games for the challenge. That's why I enjoy Rhem but get bored with something like Darkstar.

Discworld comes close to being a novel with the endless dialogues. I loved the game and the story in it, but there's no way I would read it as a novel if the puzzles weren't there or I didn't control Rincewind.

I also won't play a game with too few puzzles or too little challenge, which is why I dislike casual or "lite" games and those Japanese visual novels. For the same reason I did not even make it through the demo of To The Moon.

I'm not even sure the story is important at all in computer games. The medium is one where you have *by necessity* a character to control and an environment to explore - those are prerequisites for a game and almost qualify alone as a "story" or narrative.

If you look at all the early PC and especially console games that seemed to be a much more popular philosophy in game development than it is today.