Default re: limits to AGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
None that you're ever likely to reach, no. Current limits are:
299 rooms per game
150 characters
500 dialog topics
2000 dialog-script messages
Should you ever come close to any limit though, contact Chris Jones (AGS' creator) and he'll most likely increase the limit, it's happened in the past...
Quite what you mean by 'strings' though, I don't know. You mean variables? Of what kind?
By strings, I mean anything in "quotations." In Sludge, every time a character says something, and every time an object has a name, it adds to the total number of strings, which cannot exceed 65000. I intend to use rather more than that, so have written some code to increase the limit. Can that be done in AGS? For example, one of my characters is Plato, and anyone who wants to can talk to him about his famous Dialogs. So Plato alone will require over a thousand strings. OK, he is unusual, but I expect to have over a thousand characters, and each one will need to say a lot of stuff.

Most of the limits in AGS are no problem. But I need a lot more strings, rooms and characters. I also need to know if AGS is scalable - has it ever been tested with that many rooms or will it slow to a crawl? And would the boss make such big changes for just one user (me)?

I don't want to go on about numbers - quality is more important than quantity. But some of the recent changes in AGS are very exciting to me. And to be frank, the recent freezing of the Sludge forum has spooked me a little. My game has taken three years so far (only a year of it in Sludge) and will probably take another ten years. By that time I wonder if Sludge will be a memory, but AGS will still be supported?

The biggest reason why the grass looks greener on the AGS side of the fence is the audio license. I intend to sell my game commercially, but for that, Sludge asks ten thousand dollars on an audio license (it's only free for non-commercial use). As far as I can tell, AGS sound (well, part of it) is genuinely free. Plus the whole open source / free ethos suggests that it will stay free for the foreseeable future.

Still, Sludge is clean and simple, and so flexible. I will probably stay with it, but AVG just keeps on improving....