View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I still feel like there's no appreciation for the mainstream gamer accessibility that is helping these games get noticed outside the genre and (in effect) also helping them to be considered innovative (I'm not talking about personal evaluations, but about the public image of these games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Good and innovative games tend to sell bad upon release. Probably because they're innovative - people are afraid of change. But if the games are good, they'll stand the test of time...
Sorry, but that's only our wishful thinking. Usually to be considered as an innovator in the public eye you need to have either big bucks or already established popularity behind you. Especially in an industry that's been going for so many years, and in todays oversaturated market.

Quote:
Same goes for movies: Citizen Kane, a movie that was twenty years ahead of its time upon release, only got the recognition it deserved years and years later...
You're oversimplifying. CK was an expensive Hollywood studio production and a huge controversy upon release. It has quickly become, if not famous, then infamous, and Welles remained one of the major celebrities of those times - one of the enfant terribles. A good measure of how popular he was is that after a few years his (then) controversial films and actions led RKO to cut their ties from him and coin the slogan "Showmanship instead of genius" as a PR move. That seems pretty influential to me.

If Citizen Kane was actually ignored and of no interest to the public at the time of release, it would probably never be re-evaluated later on.

Quote:
Innovation has nothing to do with popularity. Ghost Trick was innovative yet Ghost Trick tanked in sales. Maybe all the prizes it won on sites like Gamespot will eventually make it sell a bit better, but it wasn't all that successful.
So were the sales horrible or just below expectations? It was a new IP experiment from the designer of a hit series and making it probably didn't come cheap. I'd say it had to sell a lot of copies to make even, but regardless it's definitely far more popular than Grey Matter or any of the less mainstream adventure games of recent years.

Last edited by Ascovel; 01-10-2012 at 08:32 AM.