View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
The ability to look at objects is both functional and visual. You are missing the point that a lot of the graphical innovations are functional too.
A lot of games let you look at objects and examine them. Phantasmagoria did so, the Phoenix Wright games, tons of others. Nothing new there. The only difference is that this time your character is actually running around, picking things up and the camera zooming in in one fluent motion. So graphics have improved. The rest is not new.

Quote:
The way you are talking, its like Tex Murphy is the end all detective games, yet LA Noire is more of a cinematic third person detective experience where as Tex Murphy is a completely adventure based first person detective game with more focus on puzzles and exploration.
I haven't played a Tex Murphy game, but compared to what adventure games I do know, L.A. Noire's only innovation (apart from their achievements with graphics) is adding a certain Grand Theft Auto element to it by making you chase suspects on foot, by car, and have shootouts.
Makes it more of a hybrid than an innovated adventure game to me.

Quote:
I've played all Tex Murphy games and feel that they are the corner stone of first person detective gaming...something I wish Sherlock Holmes looked at a bit more, but you seem to dismiss that the general creativity and design of LA Noire is not innovative at all. LA Noire brought about the organic feel of adventure/detective gaming.
Don't agree. It didn't do that more than for instance the CSI-games. They nailed the atmosphere in L.A. Noire. But that means they did their job well, it doesn't mean they innovated anything.

I get why Heavy Rain is innovative. I just don't feel the same with L.A. Noire.