View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
AnneS

I love the Ace Attorney games, but they are nothing like any of the games you mentioned liking.

Phoenix Wright is a lawyer who inhabits near-future Japanafornia (not the actual name of the setting, but I always think of it that way) and defends clients in its wacky court system. The game consists of two phases for each case - gathering evidence, including physical clues and witness accounts, and cross-examining witnesses on the stand.

The cross-examination is one of the things I love about the games. If you enjoy extensive dialogue puzzles those sequences are some of the best around. There's nothing quite like making Phoenix yell 'Objection!' when you're not quite sure what you're objecting to yet . The other thing I love is the characters - from spiky-haired Phoenix himself to his assistant Maya, bumbling cop Dick Gumshoe and his prosecutor rival Miles Edgeworth, they're an engaging bunch.

While the games do deal with some serious subjects and are occasionally quite moving, if you're someone who likes everything in a game to be taken seriously they are probably not for you. The universe the characters inhabit is frequently ridiculous, and its legal system even more so.

Last edited by AnneS; 01-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.