Thread: Gray matter 2
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
Madame Fussybritches

Default Loved this game, would love a sequel

Why is everyone getting so upset about this? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And personally, I LOOOOOOOOVED Gray Matter, and would be heartbroken if a sequel doesn't come around....or at least another game by the same team that made Gray Matter.

The story or plot was unique and interesting. After seeing game after game set in "misty English countryside" and a "mysterious/haunted asylum" and crammed with psuedo-science or otherwise badly-thought-out sci-fi plothole-fillers, it was amazing to play a game that, in my opinion, simply did it well. Yes, there were some unanswered questions, but I kind of like that; it made me actually think and try to fill in some of my own answers instead of spoon-feeding them to me like a 1-year-old.

The characters were expertly voiced and developed; the characters were obviously "characters" (e.g., Harvey, the sleazy wannabe-Hollywood type), but at the same time realistic enough to be relatable (honestly, tell me you didn't at least once think to yourself "I know someone JUST like that!").

The music fit and was well integrated into the game. The puzzles were a little on the easy side, but very fun. Hell, even the gameplay/controls were pleasantly unique. While this certainly isn't the first game to integrate alternating the controlable character (since you get to play as both Sam and Dr. Styles), I don't think many games do it as well as this one. Many times, when games integrate alternating-playable-characters, it becomes a tedious process of switching back and forth just to trade inventory items. That didn't happen in Gray Matter. Furthermore, you can really see the work they put into developing the two main characters through this switch; they both see very different things when they explore their environments...

Anyway, in my view, the Gray Matter group produced something that demonstrated a real understanding of the elements that go into making great games, so I would love to see ANY more games from the same team. However, I also loved this story, and would love to see it go even further...

Lastly, for those who didn't like it: Why? What things really irked you? Did you like any of it?