View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #43
Arial Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Oh, please. I'm not sure what you meant, but I'm taking it as a put down. Syberia (I'm talking about both games since they are one and honestly should be listed as one) is beautiful, it speaks to the heart, it's a lovely adventure with a very unusual setting. Sokal can be justly proud of it.
Of course you are free to enjoy Syberia) I'm only talking about marketing side. It was advertised as a "unique adventure, emotional characters with feelings, logical puzzles well-integrated into the storyline, etc", the mainstream press started to praise it as a "modern classic" the first day it came out. It was praised to the extent that saying you didn't like it was like saying you didn't like Shakespear I was disgusted with myself at first for not enjoying it like everyone else did, as everything about Syberia felt very ordinary. Now THAT'S a good marketing.

According to Wiki, it was developed on a budget of €2 million. It doesn't live up to its production value, not now, not back then. I believe that at least half of the budget was spent on marketing with a very talanted team behind. Oh, and of course Sokal is a vey talented artist, I always gave him that.