View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
thejobloshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
telltale are so formulaic, and so middle of the road for me. yes its nice they are making the AG a little more mainstream in this current climate of gaming tastes.

then again michael bay makes films for the mainstream, coldplay makes music for the mainstream. you get where im going with this.
I understand what you're saying about Telltale watering down the genre but I think they've been improving since their first title and some things they introduced to appeal to the mainstream had to be done. The hint systems in games like Back to the Future might seem sacrilegious to an old adventurer, but you have to remember what it was like in those old days. For example, Kenneth Williams and Al Lowe have already admitted that Sierra would beef up the difficulty in games in order to get customers to call their in-house hotlines and buy the hint guides.

In regards to formulaic... I mean, there's like 8 King's Quest games... but I guess there is a difficulty in changing things up in the episodic format as you have to stick to a strict linear path. Again, Telltale are improving on this drawback as I've noticed in certain chapters of Tales of Monkey Island - but it is a legitimate limitation to what they can do.