View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
gray pierce

Default The golden age: how could you be there?

I first wanted to post this in the Golden Age - U had to be there thread but then I realised it's very off-topic so I decided to start my own thread. If you mods prefer to telescope this post into the previously named thread that's fine.

Okay so here goes: I was born in 1991 and got my first pc in 1997 which was a second hand pc that had Windows 3.1 and cost my mother a small fortune. Thing is, I was one of the very few people in my class who had a pc, the only other kid who had one had a much newer pc with Windows 95 and later one with Windows 98 but his parents were very whealthy. Also even though I lived in a big city(Rotterdam) and visited several gamestores occasionally I never saw any AGs lining the shelves, it was nothing but platformers for the pc and games like Tekken for the arcade. The first AG I ever saw was in 1999: Starship Titanic. Which a friend of mine had(a friend in his mid 30s) and which was like 80 Guldens (Dutch currency at the time) so he made it very clear that I could watch but absolutely under no circumstance touch.

So the obvious question for me is: how come you guys have all these fond childhoodmemories of playing one AG after another. Was Holland so far behind on the rest of europe? Or were your parents just very whealthy and even so where did you get those games?

I'm not doubting your memories or trying to degrade them. I just don't understand it.