View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
MoonBird
3rd person fanatic :)

Well, this goes a bit off topic (i'm sure you'll excuse, since you started this thread and you asked this for yourself.) Now, I don't want to genreralize the thoughtworld of finnish people, because like where ever in the world, one nation does not mean one opinion. Also it depends greatly in which part of the country you live. But within the (quite) safe borders I dare to say that with Swedish we have a strong Love-Hate relationship. Russinans we mostly ignore or threat coldly because of World War 2 history. Finland has been part of both countries during its past, and we gained independence from Russia during the last waves of 1:st world war, in the year 1917.

Swedish aristrocrats despised the finnish people in the 1700's and 1800's, and thought they were in the lower cast, and it can still be seen today in the Swedish minority citizens. For example the Ahvenanmaa region and the Turku's archipelago are almost entirely Swedish parts of our country (Turku itself though, is quite straightly Finnish place). Ahvenanmaa's only official language is Swedish, even if it's part of Finland (and they hate you quite openly if you dare to go demand customer service in Finnish there!) And the Swedish is also the second official language in the whole country, even though less than 5% of citizens speak it as a fist language. (And that is against EU's recommendations)

As for the Finnish, we define it to be "Finnish-Ugric" language. It's very far from either Russian or Swedish. It's much more close to Estonian. We even have quite amount of same words, or at least close enough to understand them. It's like a strong dialect of Finnish

Last edited by MoonBird; 11-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.